Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne
Words by Emily E. Elliott, 1864
Tune: MARGARET, by Timothy R. Matthews, 1876
Key signature: D major (2 sharps)
Organ Performance at Hymns Without Words
Refrain: 1.-4. O come to my heart, Lord Jesus, There is room in my heart for Thee.
1. Thou didst leave Thy throne and Thy kingly crown, When Thou camest to earth for me; But in Bethlehem’s home was there found no room For Thy holy nativity.
2. Heaven’s arches rang when the angels sang, Proclaiming Thy royal degree; But of lowly birth didst Thou come to earth, And in great humility.
3. The foxes found rest, and the birds their nest In the shade of the forest tree; But Thy couch was the sod, O Thou Son of God, In the deserts of Galilee.
4. Thou camest, O Lord, with the living Word, That should set Thy people free; But with mocking scorn and with crown of thorn, They bore Thee to Calvary.
5. When the heav’ns shall ring, and the angels sing, At Thy coming to victory, Let Thy voice call me home, saying “Yet there is room, There is room at My side for thee.”
Refrain: 5. My heart shall rejoice, Lord Jesus, When Thou comest and callest for me.