Good people All, This Christmas Time
Traditional carol, possibly 12th Century Irish or English
Key signature: G major (1 sharp)
1. Good people all, this Christmas time, Consider well and bear in mind What our good God for us has done, In sending His beloved Son. With Mary lowly we should pray To God with love this Christmas Day; In Bethlehem upon the morn There was a blessed Messiah born.
2. The night before that happy tide The blessed virgin and her guide Were long time seeking up and down To find a lodging in the town. But mark how all things came to pass: From every door repelled, alas! As long foretold, their refuge all Was but a humble oxen stall.
3. Near Bethlehem did shepherds keep Their flocks of lambs and feeding sheep; To whom God’s angels did appear Which put the shepherds in great fear. Prepare and go, the angels said, To Bethlehem, be not afraid; For there you’ll find, this happy morn, A princely babe, sweet Jesus born.
4. With thankful heart and joyful mind, The shepherds went the babe to find, And as God’s angel has foretold, They did our Savior Christ behold. Within a manger He was laid, And by His side the virgin maid Attending to the Lord of Life, Who came on earth to end all strife.
5. There were three wise men from afar Directed by a glorious star, And on they wandered night and day Until on they came where Jesus lay. And when they came unto that place Where our beloved Messiah was, They humbly cast them at His feet, With gifts of gold and incense sweet.