O Come, All Ye Faithful
Words by John F. Wade circa 1743. Translated by Frederick Oakeley (1802-1880), 1841. Verses 4, 5 translated by William T. Brooke (1848-1917)
Tune: ADESTE FIDELES by John F. Wade, 1751
Key signature: A flat major (4 flats)
1. O come, all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant, O come ye, O come ye, to Bethlehem. Come and behold Him, born the King of angels;
Refrain: O come, let us adore Him, O come, let us adore Him, O come, let us adore Him, Christ the Lord.
2. God of God, Light from Light Eternal, Lo, He abhors not the Virgin’s womb; Son of the Father, begotten, not created;
3. Sing, choirs of angels, sing in exultation; O sing, all ye citizens of heav’n above! Glory to God, glory in the highest;
4. See how the shepherds, summoned to His cradle, Leaving their flocks, draw nigh to gaze; We too will thither bend our joyful footsteps;
5. Lo! star led chieftains, Magi, Christ adoring, Offer Him incense, gold, and myrrh; We to the Christ Child bring our hearts’ oblations.
6. Child, for us sinners poor and in the manger, We would embrace Thee, with love and awe; Who would not love Thee, loving us so dearly?
7. Yea, Lord, we greet Thee, born this happy morning; Jesus, to Thee be glory given; Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing.