Angels from the Realms of Glory
Words by James Montgomery, 1816, stanza 5 is from “The Christmas Box,” 1825
Tune: REGENT SQUARE, by Henry Smart, 1867
Key signature: B flat major (2 flats)
1. Angels from the realms of glory, Wing your flight o’er all the earth; Ye who sang creation’s story Now proclaim Messiah’s birth.
Refrain: Come and worship, come and worship, Worship Christ, the newborn king.
2. Shepherds, in the field abiding, Watching o’er your flocks by night, God with us is now residing; Yonder shines the infant light:
3. Sages, leave your contemplations, Brighter visions beam afar; Seek the great Desire of nations; Ye have seen His natal star.
4. Saints, before the altar bending, Watching long in hope and fear; Suddenly the Lord, descending, In His temple shall appear.
5. Sinners, wrung with true repentance, Doomed for guilt to endless pains, Justice now revokes the sentence, Mercy calls you; break your chains.
6. Though an Infant now we view Him, He shall fill His Father’s throne, Gather all the nations to Him; Every knee shall then bow down:
7. All creation, join in praising God, the Father, Spirit, Son, Evermore your voices raising To th’eternal Three in One.