Words by Thomas O. Chisholm (1866-1960)
Tune: RONDINELLA by William J. Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)
Key signature: D major (2 sharps)
1. O to be like Thee! blessed Redeemer, This is my constant longing and prayer; Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures, Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.
Refrain: O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee, Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art! Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness; Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.
2. O to be like Thee! Full of compassion, Loving, forgiving, tender and kind, Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting, Seeking the wand’ring sinner to find.
3. O to be like Thee! Lowly in spirit, Holy and harmless, patient and brave; Meekly enduring cruel reproaches, Willing to suffer, others to save.
4. O to be like Thee! Lord, I am coming, Now to receive Thy wisdom divine; All that I am and have I am bringing. Lord, from this moment all shall be Thine.
5. O to be like Thee! While I am pleading, Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love, Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling, Fit me for life and heaven above.