Words by Francis H. Rowley, 1886
Tune: WONDROUS STORY by Peter P. Bilhorn, 1886
Key signature: E flat major (3 flats)
1. I will sing the wondrous story Of the Christ Who died for me; How He left His home in glory For the cross of Calvary.
Refrain: Yes, I’ll sing the wondrous story Of the Christ Who died for me, Sing it with the saints in glory, Gathered by the crystal sea.
2. I was lost, but Jesus found me, Found the sheep that went astray, Threw His loving arms around me, Drew me back into His way.
3. I was bruised, but Jesus healed me, Faint was I from many a fall, Sight was gone, and fears possessed me, But He freed me from them all.
4. Days of darkness still come o’er me, Sorrow’s path I often tread, But the Savior still is with me; By His hand I’m safely led.
5. He will keep me till the river Rolls its waters at my feet; Then He’ll bear me safely over, Where the loved ones I shall meet.