I Know Whom I Have Believed
Words by Daniel W. Whittle, 1883
Tune: EL NATHAN by James McGranahan, 1883
Key signature: D major (2 sharps)
1. I know not why God’s wondrous grace To me He hath made known, Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love Redeemed me for His own.
Refrain: But “I know Whom I have believed, And am persuaded that He is able To keep that which I’ve committed Unto Him against that day.”
2. I know not how this saving faith To me He did impart, Nor how believing in His Word Wrought peace within my heart.
3. I know not how the Spirit moves, Convincing men of sin, Revealing Jesus through the Word, Creating faith in Him.
4. I know not what of good or ill May be reserved for me, Of weary ways or golden days, Before His face I see.
5. I know not when my Lord may come, At night or noonday fair, Nor if I walk the vale with Him, Or meet Him in the air.