Words by Johann C. Schwedler, 1741, translated by Benjamin H. Kennedy, 1804-1889
Tune: HENDON by Henri A. C. Malan, 1827, harmony by Lowell Mason, 1841
Key signature: F major (1 flat)
1. Ask ye what great thing I know, That delights and stirs me so? What the high reward I win? Whose the name I glory in? Jesus Christ, the Crucified.
2. What is faith’s foundation strong? What awakes my heart to song? He who bore my sinful load, Purchased for me peace with God, Jesus Christ, the Crucified.
3. Who is He that makes me wise To discern where duty lies? Who is He that makes me true Duty, when discerned to do, Jesus Christ, the Crucified.
4. Who defeats my fiercest foes? Who consoles my saddest woes? Who revives my fainting heart, Healing all its hidden smart? Jesus Christ, the Crucified.
5. Who is life in life to me? Who the death of death will be? Who will place me on His right, With the countless hosts of light? Jesus Christ, the Crucified.
6. This is that great thing I know; This delights and stirs me so; Faith in Him who died to save, Him who triumphed over the grave: Jesus Christ, the Crucified.