Words by Edward Hayes Plumptre, 1865
Tune: MARION Marion Arthur H. Messiter, 1883
Key signature: C major (no sharps or flats)
1. Rejoice ye pure in heart; Rejoice, give thanks, and sing; Your festal banner wave on high, The cross of Christ your king.
Refrain: Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, Give thanks, and sing.
2. Bright youth and snow crowned age, Strong men and maidens meek, Raise high your free, exultant song, God’s wondrous praises speak.
3. Yes onward, onward still With hymn, and chant and song, Through gate, and porch and columned aisle, The hallowed pathways throng.
4. With all the angel choirs, With all the saints of earth, Pour out the strains of joy and bliss, True rapture, noblest mirth!
5. Your clear hosannas raise; And alleluias loud; Whilst answering echoes upward float, Like wreaths of incense cloud.
6. With voice as full and strong As ocean’s surging praise, Send forth the hymns our fathers loved, The psalms of ancient days.
7. Yes, on through life’s long path, Still chanting as ye go; From youth to age, by night and day, In gladness and in woe.
8. Still lift your standard high, Still march in firm array, As warriors through the darkness toil, Till dawns the golden day.
9. At last the march shall end; The wearied ones shall rest; The pilgrims find their heavenly home, Jerusalem the blessed.
10. Then on, ye pure in heart! Rejoice, give thanks, and sing! Your festal banner wave on high, The cross of Christ your King.
11. Praise Him who reigns on high, The Lord whom we adore, The Father, Son and Holy Ghost, One God forevermore.